ad bar

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Easy Gluten-Free & Grain-Free Burger (Grill-optional!)

I've been wanting a good, hearty burger for a while now but I've been putting off going out to a fast food burger joint to get one. Of course, I could venture downtown and find a somewhat healthy version of one, but that requires well, going downtown.

Instead, I decided to try my hand at making my own while keeping it gluten-free and grain-free. 


Ta-da! Nothing bad on this plate, no sir!

Yes, those are my babies. My gluten-free, grain-free, low carb, burger babies. They were easier to make than I expected, but took a while to cook because all I had on hand was a single frying pan... If you have a grill, these will be both easy and fast.

Let's Get Crackin'!


Ground sesame seeds(すりごま)
Ingredients:
- ~800g of ground beef (1/2 of what is shown in the picture) - of course, grass-fed is best
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp almond flour
- 1 Tbsp ground sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste (a little goes a long way!)
- ~1/3cup chopped green onion (any kind of onion is okay)


1. Mix all the ingredients above together in a large bowl. Try not to over mix; the ingredients should stick together but not become pasty.


2. Form patties with your hands and brush each side with a little bit of olive oil. Patties should not be more than 2cm thick. (Note: I found that these liked to puff up a lot when cooking, so making an indent in the middle helps keep more of a patty shape and avoid a meatball shape; the first two I made turned into meatballs...)


3. Cook them up! You can BBQ these on a grill if you'd like, but I don't have one so I used my frying pan with a little cut-out grilling sheet. Heat the pan to med-high and place the first burgers (I could manage between 2 and 3 at a time) - they should immediately sizzle. Then, turn down the heat to medium and cook for about 6 minutes on each side. Avoid pressing down on them while they cook because this causes the juices to run out.


4. Garnish with your choice of condiments and enjoy! Keep it light by using lettuce as a bun, or you can even use it to top off a salad!

Who needs buns when you can have crisp green lettuce?

Isn't the finished product so pretty? This cut my craving and proved that burgers definitely don't need a bun! I topped this with just tomato and pickles - simple and crazy satisfying!
The following two are completely different, yet still incredibly easy versions of my burger that I made from leftovers:

Cheese, kimchi, and egg burger with sweet potato fries and zucchini!

Burger on a salad with sesame dressing~

One thing to keep in mind when making burgers is that you can also individually wrap and freeze them for later down the road. It's also useful to remember that you don't have to eat them the exact same way each time; be creative!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this! Eating gluten or grain-free doesn't mean you have to give up on traditional party or BBQ foods; there are almost always alternatives.  
On another note, please check out our new Facebook community here. It's an easy way to stay updated and informed about new posts, as well as have an easy means of sharing your feedback and input. 

What recipe do you want to see next? Let me know!

~Karyn

No comments:

Post a Comment